Monday, October 12, 2015

Bridge To No Where - My Farewell Hike

It all started on a bright HOT and Sunny SUNDAY 10/11/2015 Morning in Highland Park in front of Highland Park Crossfit.

I was at McDonald's down the street around 730AM had a sausage biscuit w egg, hashbrowns and a Vanilla Iced Coffee.  Drove up met with Jose...and we waited. 8AM call time...everyone is late of course.

We get on the road a few minutes later with 2 car loads.  Box members and 2 new friends joined us. 8 Total.  The mantra was
8 Go in 8 Go out!

Well that didn't happen...

We headed to THE BRIDGE TO NOWHERE!  This is a hike and spot I have heard about and thought sure I want to go see this odd bridge, you can read about the history HERE.

It is actually not that far. 210 freeway heading east from Pasadena, exit in Irwindale and head north towards the mountains. A few twists and turns and we arrive at the trail.

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

Here is the happy group!

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

It was really gorgeous. The scenery is so pretty, the running river. The running water follows you throughout the hike so it is really calming and in a weird way makes you feel safe. Because you wont get lost...you just follow the river all the way.

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere


Quick little stop to sun block up, take a sip of water...look around

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

our first of maybe 4 river crossings....your feet WILL GET WET....the cool water actually feels pretty good..but yeah you need good socks and shoes for blisters and such...

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

as we hiked I tried to snap some pics on my phone.  PRO TIP..make sure you have your phone in AIRPLANE mode so you dont kill your battery but can shoot as many pics as you like!

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

Sunshine and blue skies...in OCTOBER people...I LOVE SO CAL!!!

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere


FINALLY we arrive....

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

Here is the group walking to look over the bridge.  As you can see in the background, you can reserve a spot to actually bungee jump from the bridge.  They meet at 730AM in the lot and hike up together and all stay and jump and then come back down.  Kinda cool...not for me...but kinda cool.

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

resting and drying out the feet...this will play into the second part of the story...

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere


Bridge selfie as Val and Julio take a breather....finding shade along the bridge!

Hike to the Bridge To Nowhere

So goal achieved...we reached the bridge. A long hike...about 5 miles in and 5 miles out.
You can stop reading here...

I am about to complain and whine below...a long complaint....so feel free to stop here.


go ahead...bye...thanks for reading this far...












OK...RANT ON!!  Anyone that knows me, knows I have "bad feet." They are flat, not very mobile, gouty, heel spurs, calcium growth along my Achilles etc etc...arthritis...it is amazing I can walk. Prior to this hike I would go on fun hikes. 2 hours or less. I think I once went to see the waterfalls in Arcadia and that takes about 3 hours...and guess what my feet were hurting after that.  This hike? Man....5 to 6 hours...I bit off more than I can chew.  I made a few mistakes.

First...thanks for doing Crossfit...I actually was not tired or out of breath. My lungs and cardio was good, I always had my strength..so I all that was good.  But like they say you are only as good as your weakest link...and my weak link are my feet....and the shoes I chose to wear.

I dont own hiking shoes...so I wore what I thought would be the best!  Trail Running Shoes right?  As you may have seen in the pic above I wore my old INOV-8 crossfit shoes.  These are what I wore before Nike made crosstraining shoes for CrossFit.  INOV8 originally intended these for trail running but crossfitters started using them as there were flat, light, flexible and had good grip.  Perfect for CF. I wore these...

F LITE 195


I was fine on the way up...I knew there would some problems but not as bad as it was.  The shoes made every rock and pebble hurt my feet.  So on the way down I was going SOOOO SLOW...I had to maneuver my big clumsy ass over these rocks with 2 sore feet. It was horrible.

My friend finally felt so bad for me we traded shoes. He stuffed his 11 feet in my 10 shoes and he finished the hike in my shoes and I wore his Nike Free Trainers.  It helped immensely.

Let me tell you....I have suffered before...but not like this. I had to stop every few feet...the whole path is rocky and jagged and I have to shuffle my broken feet across these rocks...so bad...so terrible.'



It was this...and I just did my best...keep going keep going.



I felt so bad for my friends...and they are the BEST for waiting and putting up w me.  I was so behind 2 of my friends waited and hiked the rest with me.  The other crew had to leave, I dont blame them.  I kept the hike back maybe an extra hour...hour and a half. Fellow hikers would pass me and ask if I was OK...it was bad.

People talk about DIGGING DEEP and get MENTAL and OVERCOME the adversity and PAIN.  I had to dig deep. It sounds stupid to most...but I really had to get into my head and tell myself THIS DOES NOT HURT KEEP MOVING. I yelled FOCUS to myself ala the Rock..



I kept repeating to myself...I had to just keep moving...keep moving.

I will never do this again...this was my farewell hike.  I know better...I cannot walk more than 2-3 hours...on rocks or flat land. I just cannot do it. I WONT DO IT.

I barely could drive myself home and limp into my apartment. Standing in the shower in pain...and finally getting to ice my feet. It got so bad I literally peed in a bottle because I could not get myself to the toilet.  Times like this I wish I had a GF to take care of me...LOL.  Man it was bad.  After my shower and feet in ice it was a little past 730PM.  Almost 12 hours later...

As I am typing this my feet are better.  Still going to take it easy and not workout today. I am going to have some lunch and ice my feet some more. I plan on going for a foot massage later tonight. I need to be mobile tomorrow. I plan on working out.

But yes I was in a dark place in those mountains yesterday...and I felt so bad for keeping my friends behind.  So thank you to my friends...

NO MORE HIKING FOR ME....NO MORE NO MORE NO MORE.




No comments: