Monday, May 26, 2014

05262014 Memorial Day WOD - MURPH

Happy Memorial Day!

Today like boxes/gyms/garages etc many athletes are doing what is known as a HERO WOD.  These are workouts named after and for servicemen that died in the field.  It is a memorial workout for that individual. Memorial Day is usually set aside for MURPH.

Here is some more info on "Murph"
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000881.html

Here is a link to the Wiki page on Murphy...who was also portrayed in the Mark Wahlberg film THE LONE SURVIVOR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Murphy

Luckily, I have done this workout before.  My old coach would have us do this every memorial day, so I am pretty familiar with the suckage of this workout.  This was the first time I was doing this at my box.

So everyone at the gym met up this morning at 10AM and we hit it.

My strategy...
I knew the run was going to be the hardest part of this workout.  Period.  I just had to grind the run out and do my best.

For the rest of the workout the common strategy is to do the benchmark WOD called CINDY.
CINDY is:
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Squats

So taking that structure the idea is to do 20 x of 5 pull ups, 10 push up and 15 squats.  It seemed to make the most sense so I set out to do it that way.
I am SOOOO PROUD...I go to the first 7 sets of the above structure doing "LEGIT" pull ups.  They were ugly and sloppy but I did not use a band or a box. I did them pretty legit. By the 8th set I switched to jumping pull ups.
After I completed 10 sets of the above structure time was running out. I was at 40 mins and had to hustle if I was going to get to the run.  What was left?
50 x pull ups
So I broke it down best I could:
I knew I was not going to make the time cap...I sprinted to my run at around or 55 mins...I am not even sure, everything was a blur.
Everyone will tell you.  That last mile..is HORRIBLE. It just sucks. It sucked for me.
My final time: 69:05

http://instagram.com/p/oeGvCDNjCG/

50 x Pull Ups
100 x Push Ups
150 x Squats
LEFT
Here is how I broke it up

50 x squats
rest
50 x squats
rest
25 x box pull ups
rest
25 x bod pull ups - DONE
rest
40 x push ups on knees
rest
20 x push ups on knees
rest
20 x push ups on knees
rest
50 x squats
rest
20 x push ups

I have to say...I felt so much love and support that last mile.  The whole "cult of crossfit" definitely feeds into the idea of community and to support one another. You will always see it. When people are done, they stay to cheer on the last person.  That last person was me today.

DEAD LAST > DNF (Did Not Finish)

I was the dead last person...but NO ONE would let me quit. It was amazing.  It was so much love and support. I could hear voices behind me and a couple members were next to me encouraging me and giving me strategy. One time on my 2nd or 3rd lap I looked behind me and there were like 5-6 members ALL RUNNING WITH ME.  What?  Who does that?  They all FINISHED and came out to run another mile with me.  Every time we passed the box doors there were another group of members standing out side cheering and pushing and supporting.  It was so amazing..and so humbling and I dont have all the words to express how I felt running that last mile. I know I would of stopped or walked the rest of the way but they would not let me...they all pushed and pushed. I was NOT ALONE.

We had people that did not workout just come to support.  Seeing them there and encouraging was so great.  All I can say is thank you from the bottom of my heart and thank you to all the men and women that serve and protect our freedoms. We have a few military at our box and we salute them.  Such a great day.

POST WOD
We all got together and headed to BJ's in Pasadena for some much needed food.  It was great...shots and beers were had and everyone had a good time.  Plus one of our veterans, former Marine, Ray celebrates his birthday tomorrow!  So we celebrated some more for Ray!

This is one of the best workout crews anyone can ask for.  True definition of Family!


*photo courtesy of Coach Lore's IG feed!  =)


No comments: