Thursday, April 3, 2014

04032014 WOD

Tonight's workout was actually pretty fun.  In hindsight...it is never fun when you are in the middle of it.

400m run
Stretching

SKILL


Deadlifts
5-5-3-3-3
Loads = 135#, 225#, 275#, 315#, 345#

WOD
17 Minute AMRAP

1 x Snatch @ 95# (admittedly, it was light, I should of went Rx at 135#)
5 x Pull Up - subbed for jumping pullups
7 x Burpees
10 x Air Squats

I completed 12 rounds + 13 reps for a grand total of 174 reps.

I know what I need to work on...these met-cons with some strength work is fun.  My engine just sucks. I am good for the first 5 min and I fizzle out. I feel like I am getting better but I just get gassed very quickly and need lots of rest before I can go again.  Def more mental stuff to work on.



Also, I was very honored coaches let me do a mini session on the deadlift for the 8pm class.  Now obviously, I am NO COACH not by any stretch..but I have been doing deadlifts WRONG long enough that I know how to do it right.  Plus, going to Greg Everett's seminar a couple weeks back, I can say with confidence I know THE CUES and PROGRESSIONS for the major lifts.  Now coaching and teaching someone from beginning to end is a different story.  But I do know how to show someone the "starting position" and the "receiving position" etc.  As I have told many people..I believe you can teach a whole week on JUST THE PROGRESSIONS and CORRECT CUES for these lifts.  Even then you may not have it right.  Clean, Jerk, Deadlift and Snatch are the lifts that I now know how to fix on others and myself. Practice practice practice. I probably still do them wrong...but again, if I can remember what Greg showed me, I should be fine.

So in the short time I had with the 8PM class I tried to remember all the correct cues I learned.
Bar over the balls of your feet
Back straight
Engage the hamstrings
Shoulders back and tight
Look forward or slightly up
Flat feet
Arms relaxed
and
Pull up the shins to knees, hinge at the hips and get those glutes in there...and stand up!

**I need to re read my notes and re write them from the seminar so I will know more.**

I think I am best at helping lifters as they are doing it.  Again, I think I know what NOT to do...since I do the very mistakes that I am trying to correct.

It felt good to know the owners of the box felt confidence in me to share some of the knowledge I learned at the seminar.  So THANK YOU Coach Jose and Coach Lore for letting this fatboy show the class a little something. I really appreciate it!

No comments: