Sunday, March 30, 2014

Donut Friend - Highland Park CA

After dropping off and switching my RX7 back into my daily...I thought I would stop over and try to new-ish Fancy Hipster Donut spot in my hood.  I have mixed feelings about the RAPID gentrification happening in my neighborhood.

On one hand, I want my mom's home (my home) to continue to rise in value. I want the neighborhood to be safer and have more business and commerce come in.

On the second, I dont want MY BLOCK...the block I grew up on, York between Ave 51-52 to become so "white" and so "hipster" that all the charm and locals cannot be here anymore.  Anyone studying sociology or public policy or wants to know what GENTRIFICATION is...needs to spend a weekend on that very block.  Actually...York blvd from Ave 50 to about Ave 52.  Just go down that street and see what is happening.  Good and bad.

Anyways..ok OFF my soapbox.  Check it out...

Donut Friend - 90042

Donut Friend on York...I got 3 kinds, because I am a responsible fatty. $12 for 3 Donuts.

Donut Friend - 90042

Donut Friend  - 90042

Here is what I got...

Apple Pie
A traditional donut stuffed with caramelized apples and cheddar cheese, topped with a caramel glaze and toasted peanuts.

Apple Pie

Apple Pie

Apple Pie

Oh let me state too..that I dont share much with 3x Crossfit games champion, "The fittest man alive" Rich Froning...but we do BOTH LOVE DONUTS...just saying.

Here is the Coconut of Conformity
Coconut cream inside our traditional donut, topped with a vanilla bean glaze, toasted coconut, and a pinch of lime zest.

Coconut Conformity

Coconut Conformity



lastly...the Bacon 182
Maple glaze and regular or vegan bacon on top of our traditional donut.

Bacon 182

Bacon 182

Bacon 182


The plan is simple...I ate the Apple Pie first...save the Coconut for dessert tonight...and bring the Bacon one to work tomorrow for breakfast.

See how smart I am?

OK..so I hate hipsters...but I wont be unfair and hate on Donut Friend. The Apple Pie donut I had was pretty good.  The donut itself was very similar to a Krispy Kreme and the apples and nuts and caramel sauce was on point.  When I saw the cheese I was nervous as to if it would taste good, and it did.  So a $4 donut...was it worth it?  Probably not...would I come back and try something else...sure.

But seriously..the people in that store, the customers, all look like they came out of a bad hipster movie. I promise a top casting agent couldnt of cast more "stereotypical" people to be in there....oh yeah..one more thing.  As I was washing and prepping my car for last night...right across the street apparently COLLEGE HUMOR was there filming a skit.  Across the street from my mom's house...ugh...it will never end.  Fancy donuts, coffee shops and now College Humor is shooting in the neighborhood.
OMG...where are my cholos?  I am really missing cholos on my block....again, I can save that rant for another time.  

***UPDATE***
It is 10PM...I just ate the Coconut of Conformity.  DAMN SON...it was great.  After even being in the fridge since this afternoon that was a damn good donut.  A tad sweet because the cream and the vanilla icing was maybe a tad too sweet..but damn.  The candied lime skins and coconut shreds and man...that was delicious.  I am looking forward to the Bacon one tomorrow at work.



I recco the Coconut of Conformity...if you dont mind a little over sweetness.  It was GOOD!

No comments: