Sunday, February 2, 2014

Chinese New Year - Restart FEBRUARY 2014

First blog post of 2014 - it is a long read I know...sorry!

I guess it is a cheat.  Being ABC, I get to set a fresh start 2xs. Once at the "regular" new year like everyone else...and then 3 weeks later...I get a do-over.  I get to re start AGAIN...this year Chines Year New fell on Jan 31...which made Feb 1 a Saturday and a GREAT START to get my big ass back up again.

Feel free to scroll through my blog...you will see I have not had any real "proper" workouts since September 2013.  Foot problem, a new job (contract basis...but fingers crossed) and other changes in my training...my fitness took a deep dive into nothingness.  Sooo...I am proud to say that this weekend began a new movement to get moving.  I am happy to share what I did this weekend...

SATURDAY 02012014
8AM - IndoRow class 45 min
I signed up via a Groupon and started taking this class weekly.  I like it as I have always enjoyed rowing and its a great cardio, all over body workout. I have took advantage of this special now 3x..I think I can resign up 1 more time for an additional 6 classes.  So this will end eventually but I like the class, I like the gals I take it with and it is a GREAT WARM UP for my next class!

10AM Highland Park Crossfit
My friend and neighbor saw this little box pop up in my hood.  We went in to check it out...and then took ONE FREE class.  I ended up signing up for a discounted monthly so I can go on the weekends.  This is somewhat temporary too until I can get my finances in order to afford to join the BOX I really want which is near my work.  Until then this will do.  No disrespect to this box but I was pretty honest and up front with the coaches. I am just looking for a good as kicking class.  I dont need any hardcore "community" right now. I want to take a crossfit class once a week and then practice on my lifts using bumpers.  The coaches are young, and are not full of ego as they are new.  So it works out. We actually help each other. I can share some of my experience and they show theirs.  The box is so small right now it works out for both of us.  I do wish them well and hope it grows and there are more classes offered. Here is what we did:

WARM UP w Partner
1 partner does a wall sit holding a 10# med ball over his head
1 partner does: 10 x squats, 10 x jumping jacks, 5 x burpees, 5 x push ups

SKILL
Work to max squat clean
95#, 115#, 125# and 130#. My squat clean needs lots of work...so I kept it at 130 to work on it more.

WOD
Cash in
150 Double Unders or 300 Singles

Partner Wod
42 - 30 - 18 or each
Deadlift
HSPU
Thruster
Pull ups
I used 95# for my deadlift and thruster
Modified HSPU using a bench
Modified pull ups using a band

It was brutal..I was dying.  30:06 is the time me and my partner finished.  Have to say we used more weight than anyone else..he did 115# so we were much heavier than everyone else.

*for those in the know..that work out is actually 2 Crossfit benchmark workouts combined.  It is Fran and Diane.  Ugh..no wonder it sucked so bad!

Technique Session
I asked coach if he was down to lift afterclass and invite whoever wanted to stay...so we did!  Here is where I was able to help and program the workout.  Here is what we did:

Warm Up
PVC Pipe shoulder rotations  x as needed
3 x 10 Good Mornings @ Bar (45#)

WOD
Power Snatch to 2 x OHS
x 5 (1-1-1-1-1)

Loads - bar to warm up, 65#, 75#, 85#, 95# x 2

It was great...we were all beat after that..and needed rest!

SUNDAY 02032014
Simple gym day. I rejoined LA FITNESS as soon as I found out there was one 1 mile away from work.  I am planning on going to the gym after work at least 2x a week.  Plus my Saturday and Sunday WODs I am hoping for a 4xs a week training.

Here is what I did:

Warm Up
Treadmill - walk/run
5 min @ 3.0mph
Incline for 10 min @ 2.5mph @ 7.0, 9.0 Incline
2 min cool down at 2.5mph @ flat

BackSquat

Warm up with Bar x 10 on smith rack
94# on smith rack x 5 (2 sets)

The rack became free so I jumped on...what sucks is this gym near home only has ONE squat rack...really?  I hope management gets at least one more...sucks there is only ONE.

95# x 5
135# x 5
185# x 3 (2 sets)
135# x 5 (with 2 second pause at the bottom)

I have major mobility issues so it is hard to get my to squat not only correctly but to depth.  So I did not get too heavy and just really worked on getting low, and hitting depth as much as possible.

75ft walking lunges

Squat Jumps x 10

w/ 25# plate
w/ 45# plate (3 sets)

Pull Up practice...another skill I NEED to work on....
10 x 2
since I can barely do 2 strict pull ups, I keep it at that for 10...to equal 20.

What a weekend...I hope to begin blogging about my adventures working out.

Thanks all..and here's to an Awesome Year of the HORSE for me and everyone!!!



No comments: