Thursday, April 18, 2013

Thursday Lifting 04182013 Crappy Day

Crappy day...yup.

Today was just one of those days that you thought was going to be normal...get in get a good workout and head home to eat and be well.  Sometimes it is a great day and you surprised yourself and are super inspired because you did so well...today was NOT one of those days.

I came in today and we worked a few different lifts and repetition was part of the mix.  Doing the same movement over and over until it becomes muscle memory.  Here is the WOD.

WARM UP
2k Row at 2:30 pace = finished around 10:04
Stretch/mobility concentrating on overhead, hip flexors, calves, hamstrings and my favorite, rack mobility.

WOD
A. Build to heavy 1 power snatch
Loads = 65lbs, 95lbs, 115lbs, 125lbs *looked sloppy...so I had to do it a total of 4x before moving on.
135lbs....TRY and FAILED....4xs.  It was bad...I could not get the bar to move so I can get underneath it. I have gorilla pulled and snatch 135 before, my PR was I think 145? But today as I was focusing on getting the movement right and technique, I could not get 135lbs up...really bad.



The one good thing that I did notice at the lighter weights...I think I am getting the technique down much better. I can feel what a lot of lifters and coaches say that when done right the weight is "weightless" the bar just "floats" overhead. That statement kind of doesnt make sense but when you do the movement correctly it really just floats. At least I felt it today through 115lbs.

B. Drop down to 60% of the weight from A and complete: 1 power snatch + 2 overhead squats
EMOM = Every Minute On the Minute for 10 mins.
I used 75lbs for this set.



C. Deadlift = 2/2/2/2 x 4
Rest 20 seconds between each 2 lift and rest 2 minutes between each set of 8.
Loads - 135lbs/185lbs/225lbs/255lbs





I will say the grip and axle bar work did what it was supposed to. I got to 255 for my final set and my grip felt good and strong. Usually by the time I get to 275 the fingers and hands begin to feel weak.  I think the next time I do deadlifts for max effort I should be alot stronger with the grip part of it.

Here is where it all goes down the drain...Final little part..

5 rounds for time
5 x 135lbs push jerk

10 x bar facing burpees


FAIL.
I only completed 3 and could not even get 1 rep up to start my 4th round.  I was out of gas, I could not even get the bar off the floor.  It was bad. The bar facing burpees killed me.  A bar facing burpee is when you do a burpees in front of a bar and jump over it every rep.  So instead of just jumping up like a normal burpee, you have to jump over a bar in front of you.  Killer. I was done.

not a great day...even though I feel like I got into an accident with a garbage truck. I can feel the soreness from all over starting to sink in. I better take a cold shower and hope the soreness doesnt kick in too much.

No comments: