Sunday, September 2, 2012

The End - Bodies In Motion Pasadena

Friday, August 31, 2012 was the last official day of business for the Pasadena location of BODIES IN MOTION located on Arroyo Parkway right off the 110 Freeway.

Pretty sad...there has been a lot of chatter and facebook messages and get togethers and discussion about where the "community" will be going and where all the trainers are going etc etc etc...so many things.

I just wanted to blog a post and go over how this gym literally saved my life.  Really...it sounds very dramatic but this gym, this specific location and all the people in it and around it and people I have met and worked out with, hung out with socially etc etc...have all touched me and SAVED MY LIFE....here is my story.



Some details and facts may be incorrect as I try to remember everything...but I will do my best to go through everything.

I guess it all started when I was working in Mid Wilshire. I was working for Comcast Ent Group, so they have E! and Style and G4.  I was working for G4TV.  Right in the lobby of this building was a gym. A small one..but hey it was a gym.  This was the mid Wilshire location of BODIES IN MOTION. I figured man, I should really work out and do something, I mean it is literally in my building, no excuses right?  Plus with afternoon traffic in that area it made sense. I mean I could leave my office at 6 exactly and get home around 7-715PM.  OR...I can go downstairs and workout for an hour...leave at 7 and be home BEFORE 8.  Closer to 745 and sometimes 730.  The math made sense..plus with a corporate disco being a building employee it made sense.  So I joined.  I was doing the usual stuff. lifting weights, thinking I was in Jail or something doing very he-man workouts.  Back and Bi, Chest and Tris and shoulders and some legs..not alot.  I saw they are kickboxing...and I used to dabble in that so I began taking KB classes there too 2xs a week.  Had fun, it made sense, after work workouts everything was GREAT!  This was 2008-2009.

Then it happened...I got layed off.  On October 2009, I was laid off.  No job, no gym...but to cancel I needed to give 30 days so the gym would still squeeze 30 days off of you.  I made friends over here and the manager was nice to me and said. since you are no longer working here, why not just go to another location I will hook it up..and you can finish the final month at another BIM.  OK...where are your locations?  PASADENA!  YAY!  BOOM...done.

I remember walking in on a SUNDAY...to BIM.  I walked in and working the front desk was this "kid" with spiky hair...it was SARO!!!  Saro let me in...I had to explain everything to him about my membership...he was like yah yah...you need to talk to JOANNA...who is not here right now, but you can go workout.  YAY!  So I worked out..and came back to talk to this JOANNA chick about my membership....

Fast forward...and Joanna works her magic and I now have a one month membership to Pasadena BIM.  I begin working out...coming in whenever...and doing the same same same.  Then one evening, while coming in...a trainer/sales lady approached me...it was SAMMI. She was sooo cool and super nice and she told me I needed to try her class on Wednesday night at 530pm.  It was a cross training style class, she promised me lots of fun and activities and nothing boring.  I told her sure I will...yeah right...I aint taking no stupid classes! Now my month was ending..and I began to get used to the gym.  Actually liking it...I was making friends with the front desk...SARO, SILVIA, ANGIE and yes the GM...IRMA.  Irma and I hit it off..and I had to let her know I may not be able to stay at the gym since I was jobless and could not afford the membership.  Needless to say, Irma did some of her infamous accounting and was able to get me a rate I could work with.  Saro, Silvia and Joanna has had to help me along the way when this "creative" accounting would pop up...and not work out so well.  Anyways...I became a member...and voila.  So Sammi...helped me with the deal that Irma brokered and she made me promise to take one of her classes.  I DID and I LOVED IT.  DONE AND DONE!  I began going every Wednesday and then started taking Kickboxing with DEBBIE..and then with STEPHEN...and it snowballed.

This was during a pretty dark time in my career.  Since 2007 to now...5 years?  I have been layed off 3 times with each lay off lasting over a year. I was on unemployment and just scraping by...and you know what kept me SANE?  THE GYM.  The gym..where I had a feeling of belonging.  Where I knew I had to be there for Debbie's KB class or my fellow classmates would give me crap, or they would all gang up and say hey where were you?  Then when a tall cocky trainer named SCOTT took over Sammi's class.  I was a little nervous at first, I dont know this guy, is he going to be as fun as Sammi? Does he know what he is doing?  This sucks!  I want Sammi back!  Fast forward...Scott became one of best friends of that gym instantly.  We got each other's sense of humor and he would always push me and workout with me. We even created a new drink...the MUD JUICE..still famous to this day.  Apple,Carrot,Spinach, Kale,Chard and lime.  We used to grab one after class and talk shit all the time.  Again the momentum was growing.  I was getting better and more consistent...and feeling and looking better.  THE COMMUNITY was there.

Then one day...2 years ago...2010 probably?  I have always had foot problems.  Doctors thought I had Gout and this and that. I was taking meds and had $300+ orthodics and still I had pain.  I was finally diagnosed with acute arthritis in BOTH feet.  I would get pain on the top of my foot, the achilles and heel spur.  Yeah 3 places on BOTH feet.  So one day as I was limping into the gym to work CHEST since I could not walk...a gruffy bear in the gym..that never talked to anyone...asked me...hey whats wrong with your foot?  I explained and he shook his head and was like what are you doing for it? I explained...he was like umm..yeah you need to do this this this and that..and dont do this or that. Then walked away with his client.  I was like...really?  Who is this dude?  You guessed it...BRANDON.  So like a fly on shit, I started stalking him and asking him more stuff about my foot.  I finally got a meeting with him off site.  He agreed to meet me at the Starbucks above the gym and go over my foot as well as talk about some PR/Marketing ideas/strategies.  I was also doing this for Irma and BIM...and nothing ever happened.  But Brandon had some bigger plans and ideas and wanted to just ask me on some strategies for PR, and more importantly social media etc.  Stuff I do all day every day for work.  So we met.  We talked and talked..and he said simply.  YOU NEED TO STRENGTHEN YOUR FEET!  Duh...ok.  And so that began the threeway love affair between ME, Brandon and Scott.  Everyone make fun of me..and exercise at the same time!

So much has happened in the 3 years I was a member...I will just bullet point it since man, I cannot write about it...


  • I eventually got a job, one that I have been at ever since.
  • I did my first "athletic event" ever in my life thanks to Brandon
  • I have lost about 20-25lbs since I started
  • I am much stronger, faster, functional and powerful than ever before
  • Weekly workouts between me, Brandon and Scott and then making others do it to...just because.
  • My knowledge of exercise has grown just by being around people that know and experience.
  • I found my new love...my girlfriend thanks to the gym and the people. (Thank you Epic Donut Night)
  • I hung out with a gym friend IN HONG KONG! (shout out to Doris!)
  • So many lunch buddies and Christmas cookies and just genuine friends, friends and more friends
I owe BIM, Pasadena a lot.  Of where I am now, career wise and love wise and HEALTH WISE.  I have some great people that are like minded and hopefully be around for a while longer so we can all grow together.

I will miss the gym, I will miss the classes, I will miss the community...but I hope to never ever miss the PEOPLE of Pasadena BIM.

I am sure I have forgotten other stories and highs and lows but these are what popped into my head now.  It has been a strange and wonderful journey indeed.  Looking forward to see what else is going to happen.

here are a couple pics from the last workouts...

LAST SATURDAY WORKOUT W SCOTT...
 FINAL FRIDAY 8/31 WORKOUT W BRANDON -  yes we had over 40 people running around the gym like a bunch of crazies.  IT WAS FUN!!!


Aren't we sexy?

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Great story. Brandon helped me and countless others get over medical issues that doctors would readily prescribe meds for or be uncertain of correct treatment.All of us at BIM seemed to have developed an understanding that exercise is the alternative, and our trainers and friends at BIM made that fun, including you! Thanks for sharing your career story. I am fascinated by the non-traditional career paths. Obviously they are the most desirable jobs but they are also have their challenges.

I hope to see you at a future Brandon class!