Saturday, April 9, 2011

DTLA Food Adventure: Part 1 @ Paul's Kitchen

Tonight my friend Barry and I decided to head out to Downtown LA for some food adventures. He read about an old school Chinese place called Paul's Kitchen deep in Downtown LA on Yelp. I was intrigued and read about it. 85 reviews with average of 4 stars. We had to go try it...plus any one in their 30s or older may remember the classic old school Chinese restaurants from the 70s and 80s. Maybe your parents took you there for a "special occasion" or there was one in your neighborhood. I had one..it was called THE DRAGON, and it was in the middle of Highland Park on York Blvd between Ave 51 and Ave 50. Now it is a hipster bar called THE YORK....

The Dragon was classic..it had red vinyl booths and super retro bar that served "exotic" drinks with umbrellas and pineapples in them...it was awesome. And my family's favorite was their Egg Foo Young.

Paul's Kitchen comes pretty darn close....

Paul's Kitchen

Paul's Kitchen

As soon as I walked in I knew I was in the right place. It is like time stood still for real. This place was CLASSIC.

Crispy Noodles

Crispy noodles...who the heck serves this anymore? Let me tell you...unless it is on a Chinese chicken salad...you aint seeing these on your table.

Chicken Noodle Soup

I know this was just some MSG in water but it was actually kinda tasty...I enjoyed the soup a lot.

Paul's Egg Rolls

these for me were the worst part of the meal by far. HORRIBLE. Greasy and all veggie...not like the ones from the mid west and east coast that had all kinds of good stuff inside. These SUCKED.

House Special Fried Rice

House special fried rice...yes..now we are talking. This is classic soy sauce laden fried rice that I remember. Awesome...tasted like yesterday.

Shrimp Lo Mein

Can't be mad at the shrimp lo mein.....

Egg Foo Young

Yay baby...chicken egg foo young. Deep fried egg, onion, bean sprouts, chicken and other crap and then drowned in thick brown gravy. OH MAN....and it was decent. My old place Dragon had the best cheap egg foo young but this was good too.

Over all this was a fun place to try out as it figuratively scratched an itch I had for some old school Cantonese Chinese food. I must admit for once Yelp had this place right on the money. The reviews are 100% accurate. Food is mediocre at best, prices are ok but the best part is going to place and eating in a spot that has changed little or none since the late 70s. That is what I enjoyed. Decent cheap Chinese SOUL FOOD. This is the chop suey crap that Chinese have been feeding the "gwei lo" forever...and sometimes I crave it and love it.

No comments: