Sunday, February 10, 2008

PAFF 2008 - THIS IS THE LIFE



I went to screen a film tonight at the PAN AFRICAN FILM FESTIVAL called THIS IS THE LIFE. It is a doc, starring and directed by Ava DuVernay. Ava was my boss for a little over 5 years. During that time, we became the best of friends, confidants and she was so much more to me than a mentor. She basically, gave me my career. She taught me everything I know today about what I do and how to do it correctly. I stopped working with Ava in 2003. THIS IS THE LIFE is Ava's first full length documentary of the LA underground hip hop and rap scene at the Good Life, a little health food store on Crenshaw in LA's most notorious neighborhood. Ava was an original rapper there back in the early 90s and this doc shows the history and impact that spot had on rap culture. It was very very well done, and I am not saying it just to say it because I have a relationship with the filmmaker. The doc is very very good. It engages you and let's you meet some great characters that you care about. I am very proud of Ava and Ellene that helped produce the film. Hopefully this will be the first of many films for Ava.

If any of you reading this can catch this at a festival near you...please check it out. THIS IS THE LIFE is worth your time and support!

No comments: